Skip to content Skip to footer

Life Calendar of Father Ignacy Kłopotowski

Kalendarium życia Księdza Ignacego Kłopotowskiego
  • 20 VII 1866 – birth in Korzeniówka (now Podlaskie Voivodship).
  • 22 VII 1866 – baptism in the parish church of the Holy Trinity in Drohiczyn.

LUBLIN PERIOD

  • 1877-1883 – studies at the Male Secondary School in Siedlce.

  • 1 X 1883 – enters the Seminary in Lublin.

  • 12 X 1884 – Ignacy is ordained minor with a dispensation.

  • VI 1887 – completes the fourth course of study at the Lublin seminary. For further studies he is sent to the Catholic Theological Academy in Saint Petersburg.

  • 4 XI 1837 – receives a call to military service. However, his studies protected him from the service.

  • III 1889 – receives ordination to the subdiaconate and deaconate from Archbishop of Mogilev Alexander Gnatovsky in Saint Petersburg.

  • 14 VI 1890 – receives the rank of candidate cum nota saecundae.

  • 11 VI 1891 – receives the degree of Master of Theology.

  • 27 VI 1891 – approval of the master’s degree and presentation of master’s badges.

  • 5 VII 1891 – receives priestly ordination from the hands of Bishop of Lublin Franciszek Jaczewski in the Lublin cathedral.

  • 1 VIII 1891 – assumes the vicariate at the parish of the Conversion of Saint Paul in Lublin. He received the official nomination for this post on 3 IX.

  • 10 IX 1891 – assumes the duties of professor at the Seminary in Lublin. He is officially confirmed in this position on 25 April 1892.

  • 17 III 1892 – he is appointed chaplain of the hospital of St. Vincent à Paulo in Lublin with concurrent duties as vicar and professor of the seminary.

  • 6 XII 1892 – assumes the cathedral vicariate in Lublin.

  • 1894 – begins charitable and social activity by establishing the Lublin Workhouse for the poor and unemployed (initially as part of the Charity Society). In addition to several work departments for men and women, he establishes a men’s night shelter, a women’s night shelter, a shelter for servants, an employment agency and orphanages for boys and girls.

  • 14 I 1896 – dismissed from the chaplaincy of the St. Vincent à Paulo hospital in Lublin.

  • 4 III 1896 – receives nomination for the rector of the Dominican church of St. Stanislaus, bishop and martyr.

  • 1896 – opens an institution for morally bankrupt women, named St. Anthony’s Refuge. He begins his publishing activities. His first booklet is The Visitation of the Blessed Sacrament.

  • 1896-1901 – he carries out renovation work on the St. Stanislaus church and the post-convent building which was abandoned by the Russian army due to his efforts. He arranges accommodation for himself and the church staff in the renovated buildings. He moves his orphanages, institutions for the elderly and the Workhouse into the remaining premises.

  • 4 VII 1897 – he brings the concealed congregation of the Servants of Mary Immaculate to Lublin, rents them a flat and instructs them to run an inn. Later, with the help of the nuns and a wealthy landowner, Mr. Jan Kleniewski, he begins a secret society. Jan Kleniewski begins a secret cultural, educational and religious-patriotic actions in villages and farmsteads.

  • I 1901 – begins efforts to found and publish a weekly magazine under the title “Praca”. He does not obtain permission from the gubernial authorities. He writes pamphlets and publishes them in Warsaw.

  • 1902 – the police conduct a search in his flat and order secret police surveillance for “anti-state activities” and for giving baptisms and weddings to Greco-Unionists in secret.

  • 1905 – he relocates St. Anthony’s Hostel to Wiktoryn; girls’ orphanage to the village of Jadwinów near Lubartów; he places the boys in Opole Lubelskie; he arranges old people’s home in Sierakowszczyzna due to a law ordering the relocation of all charitable institutions outside the city as a result of a plague. He stablishes the Religious Bookshop in Lublin and its branches in Warsaw, Częstochowa and Siedlce.

  • 4 XII 1905 – receives a letter from the Governor of Lublin permitting him to open a printing house in Lublin and to publish a Catholic newspaper entitled “Polak-Katolik”.

  • 7 XII 1905 – receives permission to publish a second journal entitled “Posiew”.

  • 23 XII 1905 – the first issue of the weekly “Posiew” is published.

  • 24 II 1906 – the first issue of the daily “Polak-Katolik” is published.

  • VI 1906 – begins the publication of the monthly “Dobra służąca”, later renamed to “Pracownica polska”.

  • 4 X 1906 – at his own request he is relieved of his duties as Rector of the Dominican Church of St. Stanislaus.

  • 13 X 1906 – receives an official nomination as vicar of the cathedral in Lublin.

  • 10 I 1907 – police search in his flat.

  • III 1907 – leads a Lenten retreat in Maciejowice near Warsaw. He takes the initiative to build a hospital for children; collects materials; he obtains 60,000 roubles for this purpose from the donations.

  • 8 III 1908 – asks Bishop Jaczewski for permission to leave the diocese and goes to Warsaw for three years “in order to give more direction to religious and social publications”.

WARSAW PERIOD

  • 11 III 1908 – receives permission to move to Warsaw and exemption from his posts in Lublin.

  • 19 V 1908 – receives written permission from the General Governor to open a printing house and publish periodicals in Warsaw.
  • 1 VI 1908 – “Polak-Katolik” and “Posiew” begin to come out in Warsaw.

  • 1 II 1909 – the first issue of “Kółko Różańcowe” – a monthly magazine dedicated to Rosary Brotherhoods and Living Rosary circles is published.

  • 19 XI 1909 – The consistory of Lublin dismisses Father Kłopotowski from the post of professor at the Seminary in Lublin.

  • 18 XI 1910 – Bishop of Kielce, Augustyn Łosiński bestows upon him the dignity of an honorary canon of his chapter for his services to the cause of the diocese.

  • I 1911 – on the advice of Father Kłopotowski, the monthly Warsaw Metropolitan Curia journal “Wiadomości Archidiecezjalne Warszawskie” (Warsaw Archdiocesan News) begins to be published. He takes the printing of the journal to his own printing press and writes articles in it under the pseudonym “Żegota”.

  • 25 III 1911 – begins publishing a weekly magazine “Anioł Stróż” (The Guardian Angel) for children and young people.

  • 1911-1912 – years of court verdicts and new trials “for state crimes”, “for blasphemy against the Mariavites”, etc. Verdicts sentenced to arrests of up to two months and fines of up to 500 roubles.

  • 10 XII 1911 – together with a fine of 300 roubles, Father Kłopotowski was threatened with exile to Siberia and imprisonment; as he did not appear on time for cases, he was forbidden to leave his place of residence.

  • 24 X 1912 – Bishop Jaczewski of Lublin, on a complaint from the Warsaw District Court, instructs Father Kłopotowski to spend his five-day detention from a court sentence of 23 I 1910 in the Capuchin Fathers’ monastery in Nowe Miasto nad Pilicą.

  • 19 XI 1912 – obeys the bishop’s order, goes to Nowe Miasto and is under arrest until 24 XI 1912.

  • 1 V 1913 – buys a three-storey house at 71 Krakowskie Przedmieście Street in which he places the editorial office, administration, printing shop. He opens a bookshop and arranges a flat for himself.

  • 19 IX 1913 – a few days after his ingress, Archbishop Kakowski appoints Father Kłopotowski vicar at St. Anne’s Church in Warsaw

  • V 1914 – together with Father Siemiec, he accompanies Archbishop Kakowski on his visitation work in the parishes of the archdiocese.

  • from VIII. 1914 – after the outbreak of the First World War he publishes only “Polak-Katolik” in a reduced volume. He establishes a cheap kitchen at St. Jacek’s church and runs a facility for orphans and the elderly that is managed by the Daughters of Charity.

  • 19 IX 1914 – he is appointed a rector of the St. Jacek’s branch church in Warsaw at 10 Freta Street (still as a priest of the Lublin diocese – this is done with special permission from the Lublin consistory).

  • XI 1916 – resumes publication of “Posiew”.

  • 1918 – Father Kłopotowski’s magazines do not come out due to strikes of typesetters and printers. He continues to organise cheap kitchens and dispensing bread to the unemployed and poor.

  • 27 II 1919 – Bishop Marian Leon Fulman of Lublin asks Holy Father to appoint Fr. Kłopotowski as house prelate.

  • 28 VI 1919 – receives the dignity of house prelate through Apostolic Nuncio, Achilles Ratti.

  • VI 1919 – Archbishop Kakowski appoints him pastor of Our Lady of Loretto Church near St. Florian Church in Warsaw Praga district and a dean of Praga. Acceptance of this post required incardination to the Warsaw archdiocese.

  • 24 VI 1919 – incardination to the Archdiocese of Warsaw from the Diocese of Lublin.

  • 30 VI 1919 – Appointment as pastor of the parish of Our Lady of Loretto at the Church of St. Florian and dean of Prague.

  • IX 1919 – Archbishop Kakowski entrusts Father Kłopotowski with the function of censor of religious books and member of the Consilium vigilantiae.

  • 4 X 1919 – begins parish missions led by the Redemptorist Fathers.

  • X 1919 – creates the Union Circle whose meetings were attended by Archbishop Kakowski and Nuncio, Achilles Ratti.

  • 20 X 1919 – brings the Albertine nuns from Cracow who have taken up work in the lodging house in his parish. Along with the sisters, the Albertine brothers also arrived and took charge of a shelter for the elderly.

  • 23 X 1919 – He begins his visitation of the deanery parishes, starting from the most distant ones: Karczew, Otwock, Okuniew, Wiązowna, etc.

  • 31 VII 1920 – in agreement with Archbishop Kakowski and Nuncio Ratti, he establishes the Congregation of Loretto Sisters and also engages the sisters in parish work, especially charitable work.

  • 9 II 1922 – Archbishop Kakowski appoints him as a canon gremial of the Warsaw Metropolitan Chapter.

  • 6 VII 1922 – with the Archbishop’s blessing, he resumes the publication of the “Przegląd Katolicki”.

  • 4 XI 1924 – after a four-year break, resumes the publication of the “Polak- Katolik”.

  • II 1926 – gives his own three-storey building at 71 Krakowskie Przedmieście Street with a printing house and magazines “Polak-Katolik” and “Posiew” to the Archdiocese of Warsaw, leaving only the monthly “Kółko Różańcowe”.

  • 1926 – undertakes the construction of a new presbytery at St. Florian’s Church.

  • IV 1927 – buys and sets up a new printing house in the rented premises of the “Kurier Warszawski” in Warsaw at 46 Tamka Street and registers it under the publishing house of the Loretto Sisters.

  • X 1927 – starts publishing a new monthly magazine “Głos Kapłański”.

  • 1928 – draws up a statute for the Sisters of Loretto.

  • 19 V 1928 – Cardinal Kakowski performs the canonical erection of the Congregation under the name “Pious Association of the Loretto Sisters”.

  • VI 1928 – buys for the Loretto Sisters the land on the Liwiec river which he names “Loretto”. The land serves as a holiday centre for the sisters working in the printing house and for the poorest children.

  • XI 1928 – moves into the newly built rectory.

  • 1929 – undertakes the construction of a parish house for Catholic Action at St. Florian’s Church.

  • II 1930 – purchases the buildings of the former curtain and lace factory at 6 Namiestnikowska Street (today Sierakowskiego Street) and undertakes their reconstruction into a printing house and flats for the Loretto nuns.

  • 15 VI 1931 – registers the printing house at Namiestnikowska Street under the management of Sister Antonina Bartkowiak.

  • 23 VII 1931 – the project of the printing house is approved by the head of the Industrial Department of the Warsaw Magistrate.

  • IX 1931 – makes efforts to complete the adaptation of the building; plans to move the printing house on 1 X.

  • 7 IX 1931 – dies suddenly of a heart attack.

  • 10 IX 1931 – Funeral service in St. Florian’s church at 10.30 a.m. celebrated by Cardinal Aleksander Kakowski. The eulogy was delivered by Father Aleksander Fajęcki. The funeral procession to Powązki where the body was temporarily deposited, was led by Bishop Antoni Szlagowski. The eulogy at the cemetery was preached by Monsignor Marceli Nowakowski.

  • 27 IX 1932 – according to Fr. Kłopotowski’s will his body was taken to the cemetery in Loretto where the Loretto sisters built a special tomb for their Founder. Prayers at the coffin lasted all night and on 28 IX the funeral service was celebrated by Bishop Stanislaw Gall. The sermon was preached by Professor Zygmunt Kozubcki. After the funeral ceremony, the priests carried the coffin on their shoulders into the crypt of the tomb.

CERTAIN EVENTS OF PRIVATE VENERATION AFTER DEATH

Many visits to the grave and prayers for the intercession of Father Kłopotowski have taken place since 1931. In 1960 the Congregation received permission to celebrate Mass at the cemetery twice a year: on 7 September and 2 November. After a few years the number of Masses at Father Founder’s grave increased significantly. At present, Mass is celebrated annually at the tomb on the anniversary of his death (7 September) and the anniversary of his name day (31 July).

  • 1936 – printing of pictures with the likeness of Father Kłopotowski with the permission of the Metropolitan Curia in Warsaw.

  • 1942 – a cycle of meditations for the whole year in the spirit of the Founder’s ideas written by Father Wiktor Potrzebski, the congregation’s chaplain.

  • 1943 – a triduum of prayers and meditations before the anniversary of Father Ignacy Kłopotowski’s death conducted by Father Potrzebski.

  • 22 VII 1966 – a Mass celebrated by Monsignor Stefan Kucia at his grave in Loretto on the centenary of his birth and an academy dedicated to the memory of Father Kłopotowski.

  • 1971 – printing of pictures with the image of Father Kłopotowski together with a prayer for graces through his intercession. Daily recitation of this prayer at the Congregation of Loretto Sisters.

  • 31 VII 1973 – Mass for the Beatification of Father Kłopotowski celebrated by Bishop Bohdan Bejze at his grave in Loretto on the anniversary of his name day.

  • 7 IX 1981 – Mass celebrated by Bishop Jerzy Modzelewski at St. Florian Church in Warsaw on the fiftieth anniversary of his death. Installation and consecration of a commemorative plaque.

  • 1986 – printing and distribution of a short Vitae with a prayer for beatification.

  • 1988 – launching of the beatification process at diocesan level.

  • 1992 – files of the diocesan process were submitted to the Congregation for the Causes of Saints. (October)

  • 1993-2002 – work at the Congregation for the Causes of Saints in Rome.

  • VII 2002 – submission of an item about a miraculous healing through the intercession of the Servant of God Father Ignacy Klopotowski.

  • 23 IX 2002 – submission to the Congregation for the Causes of Saints on the heroicity of the virtues of the Servant of God.

  • 20 XII 2004 – promulgation of the decree on the heroicity of virtues.

  • 3 V 2005 – approval of a miraculous healing through the intercession of the Servant of God Father Kłopotowski.

  • 19 VI 2005 – beatification ceremony in Warsaw during the National Eucharistic Congress.

SHARE

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Be the first to know the latest updates

[yikes-mailchimp form="1"]